Our Little Family!

Our Little Family!

Friday, March 12, 2010

BUSY BEE

This week has been a very busy, crazy one! To begin, Paul and I attended Lydia's preschool conferences Monday night. First it was only 10 minutes long, so there wasn't a lot of "discussion" time. Her teacher went over the Kindergarten tests results. Our main concern was that Lydia participated in class, and we wondered if she pretended not to know answers to things when she really did. We see this sometimes around the house or at Sunday school. We were pleased to learn that she does participate and that the teacher doesn't really single kids out for answering questions at this age. She does mostly group responses. This makes sense because if a young child gets embarrassed or disappointed that he/she has the wrong answer, he/she may think twice about answering a question in school again. Also, we learned that Lydia doesn't really have ONE close friend, but plays with everyone. This was nice to hear too. So, she is all ready for Kindergarten (which we never doubted)!

On Tuesday, Paul brought Tux to the vet in the morning to have a "wart" surgically removed from his face. There were some mass cells present when we were at Tux's vet check a couple weeks ago, and the best option was to have it removed. He was there most of the day. I went with the kids and my mom to pick him up at 4 p.m. from Newago (where the vet is). We are awaiting blood work to see what Grade it is for cancer (Grade 3 would be very bad).

On Wednesday, Isaac woke up with a 103 degree fever. I called the doctor's office, and they didn't seem too concerned. I was told that the high temp wasn't alarming, but more importantly that we could bring it down with medicine. He had medicine in his system all day which did bring it down, but he was definitely VERY clingy and not himself. He slept pretty good at night. However, on Thursday he woke up again with a fever. It was 102 degrees, so I called the doctor's office again (they probably think I am crazy!). Once again, they didn't blink an eye because he displayed no other symptoms yet. They assured me that this is very common. He acted okay throughout the day with medicine in his system. Last night he didn't sleep well at all, and today he woke up again with a fever of 101 degrees (so it's going down, which is good). I called the office and made an appointment. After what we went through with Ava, I wanted to be certain it wasn't an ear infection BEFORE the weekend started. The doctor examined him and he does NOT have an ear infection or any respitory concerns. He does have a very runny nose and while we were there, he had a dry cough. She said to watch him for a rash or more dry coughing (an indication of Croupe which there is no treatment for). If he still has a fever on Monday, we have to go in again. He is getting around more today but still whiney. He isn't eating or nursing very well either. I am doing my best to keep him comfortable (with medicine and cuddling) and well hydrated. I am hoping he is on the downhill slope and that his fever his subsiding due to the onset of a cold or rash. I can deal with that.

To top off the week, I received a phone call from another third grade teacher at a different Hudsonville elementary school. She job shares with someone who had twins and is not returning. She asked me to consider coming back to teach with her. I like the idea of part-time but the way Hudsonville does it, you work every day, half-days (either morning or afternoon). So, I would still need to line up day care for every day and worry about getting Lydia to and from school. Plus, I know it wouldn't be just a half-day, part-time committment when you are working with someone else (it's never a 8:50-3:35 job when you are working by yourself either), sharing the same students. Not only does it take a lot of communication, but you still have to attend all the after-school staff meetings, grade-level meetings, conferences, and find time to grade papers. Selfishly I would like to keep working because I love teaching and don't want to worry about finding a job later, but my heart still is leaning towards staying home. I feel like this is where God wants me to be right now. I have to make a decision by April 1. I love how opportunities like this throw a wrench in decision-making. I know I have to make the decision and not look back, not matter what. Time will tell.

No comments: