Our Little Family!

Our Little Family!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Twinkle Toes

The clock said 11:10. It was time for Lydia and I to get in the car to head over the soccer field for another Saturday game. Usually Paul and the other two kids attended, but this time we decided to try something different to see if Lydia opens up to the idea of actually attempting to kick the soccer ball rather than stand like a statue in one spot with tears streaming down her face. I have to literally stay right by her on the field, so she doesn't sprint for the sidelines. As we leave, she places her freshly painted sparkly box on the table. You see, Lydia and I made an agreement and this box is very important to her. Yes, I believe in bribery sometimes. Something she has always really wanted that I keep saying "NO" is a pair of Sketcher's Twinkle Toes. My primary reason is they are just too darn expensive, and I can't justify spending that kind of money on kids' shoes. If you are not familiar with these shoes, they are canvas with a design on them, no laces, and sparkles on the toes.

Well, I told her that if she plays the next final three games for the fall season, then she can earn $5 for each game (my mom is also going to contribute). The expectations were that she couldn't whine and had to attempt to get involved with the other kids. Wow! It was quite a different kid playing on that field. I still had to be out there encouraging, but she didn't cry and actually tried to kick the ball once in a while with a BIG, wide smile on her face. She was speedy when she wanted to be, kicked off very well, and did a throw in. I know she has the skills (this is evident at practice), but she is CHOOSING not to try to see if Paul and I will give in and let her quit. However, since we are both stubborn ourselves (hence the reason Lydia is stubborn), we won't be letting her win this battle. Anyway, she received her $5 and happily placed it in her painted box. We will have to see what next Saturday brings. Not sure if this bribery will backfire someday. I am hoping she will learn that if you put your fear aside and try new things, you may discover that you actually enjoy doing them.

In other news, Isaac has learned to clap:) When we say to him, "clap for us Isaac!" it is just too stinkin' cute out he smiles and begins to clap his hands together, so happy of his accomplishment. He is such an easy going kid and just enjoys spending time outside pushing any toys that have wheels down the driveway or on the sidewalk. He is also very fascinated with men toys...he stops dead in his tracks to watch a riding lawn mower, a push mower, or a leaf blower. Just yesterday, a big dump truck with a trailer attached holding a bobcat came and stopped in front of our house (our neighbors are putting in a pool). He walked right up to the truck and just looked at in awe. Then he proceeded to climb up the back. Climbing is another one of his favorite things to do. He will push chairs around the kitchen to climb up to get into the cupboards or onto the table to get something or grab onto our hanging dining room light. I honestly think this is a learned behavior from watching his sister. They are always doing this to get something.

Sitting in church on Sunday, I was really moved by the Pastor's message and have to share. The message was about not making idols for ourselves. In this day and age, it can include things such as money, material possessions, computer, sports, etc. He made three great points to remember: Idols disappoint, Idols dominate, Idols deform...IDOLS DESTROY! Then he concluded the sermon with three ways in which we can respond: delve into the Word of God, decrease exposure to false images the world offers, discern every image that enters our mind-dissect it. This has been something for me to ponder this week and to permanently stamp into my mind as I interact with the world around me.

1 comment:

Marcia Bosma said...

Love the Twinkle Toes idea and it sounds like it worked! As a mom of another very stubborn 5 year old, I completely understand having to be creative to get them to "cave" and do what we want. :) I like the shoe box idea too - something to keep looking at and getting excited about! :)

Hope it goes well again this week!